Tuesday, January 31, 2012

100 Films You Must See #87

#87
THE BIG LEBOWSKI
Joel & Ethan Coen
1998


:) I wondered if it was appropriate to start this particular entry with a smile, I thought No, I have a small audience, but an audience who expect well written pieces. Then I thought about the film I was reviewing and it came to me, I have had so much repeated fun with this film that who cares really and maybe you'll definitely buy into my mood, the mood in which the Coen's allow you to be involved in.

There is a lot about The Big Lebowski that is not of classic film and I think most will not agree on my selection. For starters you may ask if Blood Simple is the perfect crime film why does this film reign supreme over it? I don't see it that way. I think with films it is what your left with at the end of the day.

Anyway enough about that, it's all justification and I won't have anymore of it. The Big Lebowski is a triumph of the comedy genre. It does what many fail to and that is simply make you laugh. You may be laughing at the one liners, the innuendo, the observational, the caricatures, the futile conversations or the outright foul language, it all has it's place within context.

An example is when we open the film to see The Dude a.k.a. Jeff Lebowski played by Jeff Bridges in a shopping mall, he is an untidy, modern hippy and as he checks out milk for his white Russians, we hear George Bush address the American people on standing up to aggression, this mind you was from the time of the Iraq war (91' desert storm). Just before this we hear a cowboy voiceover introducing The Dude (which in fact is a name given to the Dean Martin character in Rio Bravo 59' who was a no-hope drunk) and we learn that those words of the then president actually wouldn't have an effect on the man, it's the world around him that has turned cynical and edgy. It's his friend the retired Vietnam Vet Walter played by John Goodman that 'won't stand the aggression'. watch this scene

The Big Lebowski is a ride for the paranoid and in the end these pivotal characters are fighting an unchecked enemy, something made up. The Coen's have fun with this idea and ride it into oblivion which reminds me of older slapstick comedies that have no plot but are a series of sketches and have that single character that is effected by all the moron's around him when all he wants to do is go bowling.







100 Films You Must See


No comments:

Post a Comment