Monday, January 30, 2012

100 Films You Must See #88

#88
BONNIE AND CLYDE
Arthur Penn
1967



I can remember seeing Bonnie And Clyde as a young man and thinking it was a light take on a gangster film. The music and sometimes blase performance of Warren Beatty had me believing that he was a joker and that this film would somehow be over the top. When you finish Bonnie And Clyde you begin to realise that there was no joke, no whimsy, actually nothing light about it at all. If there is one word I could give such a film, it would be that of truth. You see I don't know what being a bank robber, criminal, gangster or all three of them combined would be like, but I'm willing to bet it starts out being fun and games but it will most likely reach the depths of that famous last scene. If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it.

You may find from my past reviews that I like my crime film with necessary violence, I always remember Francis Ford Coppola stating how much he hated violence and creating a crime scene on film. I think the violence he directs in his films is always necessary. Cut to Arthur Penn director of Bonnie And Clyde and he states he wanted to show what real violence would be like, none of your old Hollywood type murders and  subdued blood. I think what he achieved here is a portrait of the aftermath, something audiences can learn from, it's all justified within.

With some master performances from Beatty and Dunaway this is a must watch film that stands the test of time for it's brutality and truth.





100 Films You Must See


No comments:

Post a Comment